As a blogger… can I call myself that if I don’t have my poop in a row and blog on a regular basis? Well, I have a blog and I write for it… so… a blogger I shall be.
As a blogger… Something that excites me is seeing people leave comments for me. Just a small little blip that says, “Hey, we are out here reading what you have to write… and we like it (or we don’t)” I don’t mind hearing someone disagree with me. I don’t write for the accolades, I don’t write for people to gush over me… I write because it does something for me and I hope it raises thoughts in my ‘readers’.
Anyway, I posted a few weeks ago and it was a Friday. I found a cool place to read and follow called “Lisa-Jo Baker” (www.lisajobaker.com). On Friday, she posts a prompt and people are supposed to blog from the hip on the topic for 5 minutes. No thinking, no editing… just let the fingers fly.
Well, I did just that a couple of weeks ago and found that someone read my post. My half-marathon coach Amanda at www.runtothefinish.com happened along my post and decided on my prompt for this Friday. It is Thursday today, and I only have a few minutes (the lunch whistle is about to blow), but I am going to try and get started on this week’s prompt.
Amanda suggested I write… Why I am excited to train for a half-marathon?
Quite often, people probably don’t think of the word excited and half-marathon to be in the same sentence. Just a few short weeks ago, I am not sure I was thinking that I would be one of the people that would put those words together. But… here I am, and oddly… I am excited.
I have only just begun the journey this time around. As you may or may not know I was registered for the Fargo Half last May (2013) and didn’t get the training in so opted to do the 10K – which was a great experience for sure.(read about that incredible journey here).
So… Why am I excited to train for a half-marathon.
Maybe I should make a list of the reasons…
- My support team is seriously SERIOUS this time around. Jodi and Amanda McLatchie are not letting me give up on myself just because I am a busy mom.
- I love my running shoes (Brooks Ghost 6)… bought an extra pair to wear just for running, and a pair with a gore-tex upper since the roads/paths are so darn wet.
- I need to use my Garmin so my friends don’t feel like they bought me a gift that is sitting on a shelf.
- I can feel a difference in my body and how much more prepared I am physically already.
- My knees and feet are doing well so far. Usually, they hurt by now and I am ready to give up.
- Hairball is playing at the post race party. I haven’t seen them but hear they are amazing.
- It is the 10 year reunion of the Fargo Marathon and the course will be a special one this year.
- I can’t have a cupcake at the cupcake place if I don’t attempt the half… and if I don’t train… I won’t make it… so for the love of a cupcake… I am excited to train for a half-marathon.
- I have people cheering me on near and far because of social media sites and it sure feels good to have people on your side.
- I want to finish something I started yet again… and for the learning to love myself journey I am on… this is an important goal to reach.
Thanks to Amanda at www.runtothefinish.com for being my coach and encouraging me to get this done.
Trying to find a clever way to end this post… you know as a ‘blogger’ it really should have some sort of amazing message or something… but it doesn’t. Just me… telling about a journey I am on and putting it out there that I will be running a half-marathon in May of 2014. THIRTEEN POINT ONE miles…
And here are three reasons I am excited as well… My three cheer leaders (and challenges to the training)… I want to show them I can decide to do something and get it done. I have 5 miles to get in today (Sunday)… we will see how they cooperate with me needing an hour and 30 minutes to myself.